19 / 12 / 2008
Our vision is to be the authoritative voice of workforce leaders, experts in HR, negotiating fairly to get the best deal for patients. We help employers make sense of current and emerging healthcare issues to ensure that their voice is front and centre of health policy and practice. We keep them up to date with the latest workforce thinking and expert opinion, providing practical advice and information, and generating opportunities to network and share knowledge and best practice.
As the employers' organisation for the NHS in England, we work with employers in the NHS to reflect their views and act on their behalf in four priority areas:
Pay and negotiations
We manage the negotiation infrastructure that supports discussions between NHS employers and unions on pay and terms and conditions. We:
- negotiate specific contracts on behalf of employers
- provide evidence to pay review bodies
- represent employers on NHS Pension Scheme changes
- oversee the development of Agenda for Change.
Visit our pay and rewards homepage.
Recruitment and planning the workforce
We support employers with the shape and size of the local workforce and provide advice on domestic and international recruitment. We:
- support trusts with workforce planning and productivity
- run the NHS Careers service
- provide an employer voice in national workforce discussions
- represent and inform employers on international recruitment
- help develop new roles and ways of working.
Visit our planning your workforce and recruitment homepages.
Employment policy and practice
We represent employers locally, nationally and internationally, sharing good practice and feeding into policy in key areas including equality and diversity and professional regulation. We:
- support employers with staff engagement
- promote excellence in equality, diversity and human rights
- work in partnership to influence and help implement policy
- represent employers on key European issues.
Healthy and productive workplaces
We provide information and advice to help ensure the health and well-being of the NHS workforce. We:
- assist employers with meeting the challenges set out in the Boorman review
- develop comprehensive materials, tools and resources
- run campaigns to promote health and well-being in the workplace.
Visit our health, work and well-being homepage.