17 / 12 / 2012
A significant proportion of overall sickness absence in the NHS is due to musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) - an issue that most line managers will encounter. NHS Employers has produced a web guide with tips and information to help managers advise their staff.
This new guide includes the following:
- support for staff suffering from MSDs
- general line management approaches which also apply to MSDs
- risk assessment and risk management
- manual handling of patients
- manual handling of patients – bariatric patients
- work related upper limb disorders (WRULD) / repetitive strain injury (RSI)
- legislation relevant to MSDs
- rehabilitation and re-deployment.
The new guide can be found on our website. Further guidance for line managers can also be found in our Resources for line managers section.