01 / 7 / 2014 4.18pm
Developing the OD workforce was a workstream that formed the basis of one of our Do OD project groups in 2013/14. Its aim was to inquire into the issues facing the NHS when building OD capability and to recreate the conditions in the group using co-operative Inquiry*.
The group concentrated on three strands.
- Brand Strand
- Developing OD Practice: Core Skills
- OD Confidence and Legitimacy
Through these strands, the group created a detailed account of its journey throughout 2013/14.
The group recommended that OD practitioners in the NHS should have a safe place to stay sharp. The group also shared an insight into OD Career Pathways and developed sample NHS OD job descriptions, ranging from band 7 to Band 8c for trusts to use.
Sample NHS OD job descriptions
- Organisational Development Lead (Culture), Band 7
- Organisational Development Practitioner, Band 7
- Performance Development and Organisational Development Manager, Band 8a
- Organisational Development Consultant, Band 8b
- Assistant Director of Organisational Development and Learning, Band 8b/c
- Head of Organisational Effectiveness, Staff Engagement and Wellbeing, Band 8c
- Assistant Director of Organisational Development, Not banded
- Associate OD Business Partner, Not banded
- Head of Organisational Development and Learning, Not banded
- Organisational Development Manager, Not banded
If you would like to share your career pathway, or some OD job descriptions from your organisation, please get in touch.
*In co-operative inquiry a group of people come together to explore issues of concern and interest, help understand, make sense and develop new and creative ways of looking at things. As well as learning how to act to change things you may want to change and find out how to do things better.