02 / 7 / 2014 10.16am
Influencing Leaders and Boards was the work theme for one of the seven DoOD Project groups in 2013/14. Its aim was to equip OD practitioners with the tools and ability to influence leaders and boards by:
- ensuring that there is a strong OD presence in the development and implementation of business and transformation strategies
- ensuring business strategies engender OD thinking and practices (whole systems approach)
- supporting CEOs/senior directors to understand the value added elements of OD
- equip OD practitioners’ with the skills needed to have confident conversations with senior leaders and influence key decisions and plans for the future
- increasing the self awareness of OD leads
- raising the profile of people risks and issues associated with large scale cultural change and transformation.
The story of their journey into this area can be found via a giant DoOD and the group have produced a great game of Mythbuster Bingo for all those OD myths you may have encountered throughout your career - let us know if you got a full house!
Tools and resources
Sarah Akhtar, one of the group members, has written an article on an approach to take when beginning to influence the leaders within an organisation.
The group have also found useful resources from Brainard and TLC on Measuring ROI, Calculating ROI and ROI for HR and OD Initiatives, and have put together a short document of further links for your information.
They also collated some great articles around driving and managing transformational change.
The NHS Leadership Academy have a Healthy Boards Toolkit which could be a cornerstone for any Trust's Board development, as well as a fantastic model of healthcare leadership, both featured in our ODecember month in 2013.