21 / 01 / 2014
Our checklist provides practical steps that employers can take to engage with, and support, the local implementation of Modernising Scientific Careers.
- Identify a person who can champion MSC in your organisation and ensure they feed into Health Education England, working across the north east.
- Ensure all stakeholders, including the board, staff and trade unions understand the aims and outcomes of the MSC.
- Ensure senior managers are on board with the transformation of healthcare science careers.
- Highlight to the board the benefits MSC can bring to the workforce.
- Identify and locate all of your current healthcare science workforce on the electronic staff record (ESR).
- Undertake a full profile map of your current healthcare science workforce by age, specialism and skills profile.
- Undertake an analysis of work done by each level of scientist.
- Match your current workforce to the MSC assistant/associate, practitioner, clinical scientist, senior scientist/consultant roles.
- Review current use of skills and grades against current and future service requirements.
- Have discussions with commissioners on innovative ways of delivering services and tendering for education opportunities.
- Create skills profiles for new, more efficient care pathways and look at maximising opportunities with assistant and associate roles.
- Drive innovation in care pathways and location of delivery of care with senior-level scientists, engaging senior scientific staff to make the most of their existing knowledge and skills.
- Assess your capacity to act as a training establishment, provide quality placement provision and quality of training.
- Develop future training and recruitment strategies for healthcare scientists.
- Develop the assistant and associate workforce, and offer clear pathways for staff to progress to qualified practitioner and scientist roles.
- Use apprenticeship schemes to secure and refresh your workforce.
- Explore offering a healthcare science training programme, whilst considering ability to delivery quality placements.
- Ensure your current workforce is either regulated or part of a voluntary register, where available.
- Identify potential links with other local NHS providers in order to maximise opportunities for sharing knowledge and best practice, and broaden workforce development opportunities.
You can find out how other trusts are responding to the implementation of Modernising Scientific Careers, learn from their examples and perhaps adapt and develop ideas to meet your local needs from our shared learning section.
If you would like to share information about the good work you are already doing in this area please contact email@example.com.