12 / 6 / 2014 4.08pm
RADIO PRESS RELEASE
• Full audio available for radio (higher quality available by request): https://soundcloud.com/nhsemployers/care-maker-song-the-6-cs
• Video trailer available: http://www.nhsemployers.org/case-studies-and-resources/2014/06/the-care-makers-song-trailer
• Full song and video publicly available from 17 June: by Samuel McPhail on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/music-video/the-care-makers-song/id890109819
• Singer/songwriter/musician available for interview.
Student nurse shows why music really is good for you!
Charity music song/video gets 17 June iTunes release
A talented student nurse has taken his ‘The Care Maker’s Song’ to the highest levels of the NHS in a bid to raise money for cancer care and highlight the importance of compassion.
Samuel McPhail, 32 from Leeds, is releasing the song on iTunes on 17 June – with all proceeds going to the Yorkshire Cancer Care Charity. Its video will also feature on Youtube.
On the day it will be played at the biggest nursing event of the year - the Royal College of Nursing Annual Congress.
Samuel created the song to help him remember the 6Cs of healthcare - care, compassion, competence, communication, courage and commitment. The 6Cs are being promoted by NHS England and by ‘Care Makers’ like Samuel, who are NHS staff dedicated to spreading those values.
Senior leaders from the nursing directorate of NHS England have voiced their support for Samuel and his song.
The song and video were produced at no cost with the assistance of the NHS Employers organisation and Jonathan Wright - a professional composer and film maker who volunteered his time as thanks for receiving compassionate care following his heart attack last Christmas.
Samuel is available for radio interviews from 17 June, or pre-recorded, to discuss the song, the 6Cs, the Care Makers initiative, the compassion in practice programme and positive values in healthcare. He wrote, sang and played piano on the professionally-produced recording.
Notes for editors:
• See www.nhsemployers.org/caremakers for more information.
• The NHS Employers organisation is the recognised body for employers in the NHS, supporting them to put patients first. See www.nhsemployers.org for more information.
• Follow NHS Employers on Twitter at @nhsemployers or follow Dean Royles, chief executive of the NHS Employers organisation, at @NHSE_Dean.
• A full list of NHS Employers press releases and statements can be accessed at our Media Centre.
If you have a media enquiry, please contact the press office:
Senior Media Officer
Tel: 020 7799 8671
For out of hours media enquiries, please contact the duty press officer on 07880 500 726.