12 / 9 / 2014 1.11pm
Nominations are now being taken for the inaugural Compassion in Practice Awards and NHS Employers is seeking examples of excellence in compassionate working. Until the deadline of 25 September (5pm), staff and organisations within the NHS or delivering NHS funded services can nominate themselves, their team, department or organisation. Nominations from all disciplines are welcome.
The Compassion in Practice team at NHS Employers is supporting NHS England to deliver the Awards, which take place at the Chief Nursing Officer’s Summit on 25 November in Manchester.
Sue Covill, director of employment services at NHS Employers, said:
“Compassion has been fundamental to NHS care since its inception in 1948. But powerful new programmes promoting compassion are helping to share fresh ideas and sustain the kind, human face of care during challenging times. We’re very excited to recognise a wide range of candidates in these Awards, reflecting the universal importance of compassion in care.”
The Award categories are:
- An organisation which promotes independence, maximises wellbeing and improves health outcomes
- An organisation that has improved experiences of care by embedding Compassion in Practice into its ways of working
- A team which delivers high quality measurable care
- A leader that puts Compassion in Practice into action
- A team which has the right staff, with right skills in the right place
- A team that puts Compassion in Practice in its ways of working
- Patient-inspired behavioural change
On twitter, see #NHSCiPAwards or CiPAwards@nhsemployers.org
Nominations can come from services delivered in hospitals, or in a primary care, community or residential setting. Entries from organisations should be supported by a board-level director.
Compassion in Practice is a national programme led by Jane Cummings, Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) for England which works to put compassion at the heart of NHS care. It is underpinned by the 6Cs, which are values recognised by staff and patients alike that were launched alongside the Compassion in Practice strategy in 2012: care; compassion; competence; communication; courage; and commitment. NHS Employers is leading on the delivery of work that supports a key area of the programme: ‘supporting positive staff experience’.
Notes for editors:
- The NHS Employers organisation is the recognised body for employers in the NHS, supporting them to put patients first. See www.nhsemployers.org for more information.
- Follow NHS Employers on Twitter at @nhsemployers
- A full list of NHS Employers press releases and statements can be accessed at our Media Centre.
If you have a media enquiry, please contact the press office:
Senior Media Officer
Tel: 020 7799 8671
For out of hours media enquiries, please contact the duty press officer on 07880 500 726.