23 / 7 / 2015 3.51pm
The NHS Employers organisation, on behalf of NHS England, and the Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee (PSNC) have reached agreement on a number of changes to the Community Pharmacy Contractual Framework (CPCF) in return for a funding package of £2.8 billion for 2015/16. The agreed changes to the CPCF follow complex but constructive negotiations and all parties are pleased to have reached agreement.
NHS Employers and PSNC have agreed to a new advanced service for influenza vaccinations. Adult patients, aged 18 and over at the time of vaccination, who are defined in the Annual Flu letter will be able to receive their seasonal influenza vaccination at participating community pharmacies from September 2015. Funding for the flu service will be in addition to and outside of the £2.8 billion.
Felicity Cox, lead negotiator for the NHS Employers organisation, says:
“We are very pleased to have reached agreement with PSNC on a national influenza service. This new service expands the role of Community Pharmacy, making better use of the clinical skills of pharmacists and delivering improved choice and access to services for people.”
Sue Sharpe, PSNC Chief Executive, says:
“The introduction of a national service for influenza vaccinations is good news for community pharmacy, the NHS and most importantly, the public. There are many other opportunities for the NHS to benefit from developing community pharmacy and we hope to make more progress in the near future.”
Other changes include:
- Changes to the contractual framework that will in future require pharmacists to point out to patients who claim exemption from prescription charges, where no evidence is presented, that the NHS routinely checks claims for exemption and takes action whenever inappropriate claims are made.
- Agreement to establish a joint working group to review the costs and system issues and system for the Electronic Prescription Service.
- A requirement for pharmacies to participate in a national audit that will take place in 2015/16. Further information on this will follow at a later date.
Agreement to work together to develop business cases for new community pharmacy services for consideration in the 2016/17 discussions.
More information is available in the Summary of 2015/16 Community Pharmacy Contractual Framework Agreement.
Notes for editors:
- The NHS Employers organisation is the recognised body for employers in the NHS, supporting them to put patients first.
- Follow NHS Employers on Twitter at @nhsemployers
- A full list of NHS Employers press releases and statements can be accessed at our Media Centre.
- More information on PSNC
If you have a media enquiry, please contact the press office:
Head of Communications and Public Affairs
Tel: 020 3122 0839
Senior Media Officer
Tel: 020 7799 8633
For out of hours media enquiries, please contact the duty press officer on 07880 500 726.