20 / 11 / 2013 4.08pm
The key aim of the DBS Update Service, which was launched on 17 June 2013, is to improve the ease and speed with which employers can apply for criminal record checks.
It offers a level of portability of criminal record information, which means that people will be able to change roles and employers more quickly without the constant need for a new DBS check.
This is regardless as to whether the individual is moving within the NHS or to a different sector, as long as the new position doesn't change the type of vulnerable group they are working with and the activities they are undertaking do not require them to have a different level of check.
You can find out more about the update service in our latest briefing 'An employers guide to using the DBS Update Service' which includes information on
- the mutual benefits of the service
- encouraging staff to subscribe
- who can obtain an online status check
- how to access the service
- charges for subscription and use of service
- information received when undertaking an online status check
- what happens if an individual's subscription elapses
- where to access the DBS communication tools
- where to find further information