28 / 5 / 2015 3pm
An opportunity has arisen for employers to join a national panel for consultant job plan/ pay progression appeals.
All employers face the prospect of a job plan or pay progression appeal and there are mutual benefits in employers both providing and having access to a pool of third panel members.
The vast majority of appeals are the result of proposed changes to the job plan. The mediation and appeals mechanism provides a fair, open and expedient way of handling disagreements.
- We are seeking to boost the number of employers on the panel so that we can respond quickly to requests and the work can be shared fairly among employers.
- We welcome all volunteers but need further representation from specific regions such as Manchester and London.
- By volunteering as an independent third panel member, you are contributing to the appeal process by ensuring that it is seen to be fair by all parties.
- Your commitment is infrequent.
- Your participation encourages other employers to volunteer, thereby widening the pool of panel members.
- The panel member can be nominated from a variety of routes but their key attributes should be independence and impartiality.
- They may be executive or non-executive directors or clinical staff.
- The more volunteers we have, then the more we can share the workload but it should be no more than one or two days a year.
- Some preparation is required before hearings to clarify the grounds and issues for the appeal.
- NHS Employers and the BMA are developing some joint training for appeal hearings.
If you would like to join the list of third panel members, or would like to discuss this in detail first, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org