01 / 7 / 2015 10.13am
The first Reserves Day took place on 24 June 2015, and saw organisations from across the country publicly show their support for members of the Reserve Forces.
Reservists are dedicated men and women who give up their spare time to train and serve in the Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force, combining this with a civilian life and career. Reserves Day is an opportunity for employers to recognise their reservist employees and and celebrate their contribution to the nation.
Many NHS trusts took to social media to share their stories including photos and news articles.
- South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust - tweeted pictures throughout the day of their paramedics working in military uniform and also of their support for reservists. Read South Central Ambulance Service's case study on how the trust supports its reservists.
- Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital NHS Foundation Trust - shared an article featuring three reservists, theatre manager Major Lisa Tierney, ward manager Sergeant Gina Aldous, and Corporal Jeff Murphy who is a hospital porter. Each described their experiences in the Reserve Forces and the benefits this has given them. Read the full article on Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital's website.
- City Hospitals Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust - invited its reservists to have lunch with the chief executive to thank them for their commitment to the organisation and the Reserve Forces.
- University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - Eamonn Sullivan, deputy chief nurse and head of nursing at the trust, spoke of his experiences during his 12 years as a reservist.
- The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation Trust - tweeted a picture of Lt Col Maggie Durrant and Sgt Rebecca Warren, who are nurses at the trust, dressed in their military uniforms holding the Armed Forces Day flag.
- Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - tweeted a picture of reservist Cheryl Kelser, who works in intensive care, and the pride in receiving a bronze award as part of the Employer Recognition Scheme.
To find out more about supporting reservists within your workforce and the benefits this can bring to your organisation, please visit our dedicated reservist web pages.