02 / 7 / 2015 3.20pm
25 student and newly-qualified nurses have been named as the first Nursing Times Rising Stars at an event sponsored by NHS Employers in London on Tuesday 30 June.
The Rising Stars list celebrates new talent in the nursing profession with individuals being chosen for their inspiring attitudes, behaviours and hard work. The stars were chosen by a panel of ten judges, including Jane Cummings, chief nursing officer for England, who all provided insight and knowledge into finding the best of the future workforce.
Jenni Middleton, editor of the Nursing Times said: “Our Rising Stars understand the needs of the modern patient and how the modern nurse must serve them. They are shaping the profession with their thoughts, attitudes, behaviours and actions.”
The evening also included an inspirational speech from guest-lecturer Brian Boyle, survivor of a near fatal car crash who paid tribute to the nursing profession.
The 25 first ever Rising Stars are:
- Ayodele Ayedun - Deputy Manager, Male Acute Mental Health Ward, Oxford Health Foundation Trust
- Lynsey Brown - Learning Disability Nurse, Calderstones Foundation Trust
- Julie-Anne Colvin - Learning Disabilities Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services, Northern Ireland
- Maria Davison - Community Nurse, Derbyshire Community Health Services Foundation Trust
- Aimie Doust - 0-5 Specialist Community Public Health Nurse, Harrogate and District Foundation Trust
- Vivien Durham - Learning Disabilities Nurse, Rainbows Children’s Hospice
- Emily Gartshore - Staff Nurse, Nottingham University Hospitals Trust
- Laura Hailes - Staff Nurse, Oncology Ward, Nottingham University Hospitals Trust
- Christopher Hardy - Nurse, Churchview and Lakelands Nursing Homes, United Health
- Claire Harries - Student Nurse, University of South Wales
- Michelle Hudson - Care Maker and Student Nurse, Teesside University
- Charlotte Johnston - Student Nurse, recently qualified from University of Lincoln, soon-to-be ICU Nurse
- Stephen Jones - Mental Health Nurse, Oxleas Foundation Trust
- Rebecca Kenny - Emergency Department Nurse, Imperial Healthcare Trust
- Orla Mathews - Staff Nurse, Elderly Acute Unit, Antrim Area Hospital
- Netty Mdluli - Student Nurse, University of Derby
- Natalie Moore - Staff Nurse, Priory Group
- Adjoa Nsiah-Jennings - Community Staff Nurse, North East London Foundation Trust
- Sam Wallace - Student Nurse, Bradford University
- Louisa Power - Student Nurse, Glasgow Caledonian University
- Liz Read - Student Nurse, University of Greenwich
- Emma Selby - Staff Nurse, Waltham Forest Child and Family Consultation Service, North East London Foundation Trust
- Jade Silver - Student Nurse, University of South Wales
- James Whiteside - Trainee Surgical Emergency Nurse Practitioner Nurse, Surgical Emergency Unit, Oxford University Hospitals Trust
- Nikki Yun - Student Nurse, Kingston University and St George’s, University of London
Take a look at #NTRisingStars on Twitter to catch up on all the pictures from the evening or visit their website.