16 / 11 / 2015 2.07pm
We have published revised guidance supporting employers during the recruitment process when seeking a self-declaration from candidates, as part of the criminal record and barring check.
Our two guidance documents, model declaration form A and model declaration form B, aim to support employers and applicants understand which questions can be legally asked and the circumstances under which applicants are legally required to self-disclose information.
The revised guidance includes information on:
- the purpose of a self-declaration form
- when self-declarations may be obtained
- the type of questions that may be posed
- what information should be considered
- ensuring all applicants are considered fairly
- charities that can provide further support.
The guidance documents also provide information to applicants, including:
- advice on providing supplementary information they may wish the employer to consider in support of their application
- signposting to further guidance which makes clear what sort of criminal record information they should consider declaring when completing a self-declaration form.
Download the guidance
Model declaration form A:
This form is for use only when recruiting to positions that are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
Model declaration form B:
This model declaration form is intended for use only in connection with positions that are non-exempt under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
We are working closely with NHS jobs to ensure that amendments to this guidance are reflected in their questions as soon as possible.
These forms are subject to periodic review to ensure they accurately reflect the requirements under the DBS regime, data protection, human rights and equality legislation. It is important that employers review their local recruitment policies and practices to ensure they are in line with the guidance outlined within the revised forms to ensure they are fully compliant with current law. The revised model declaration forms and guidance can be found on our website.