16 / 5 / 2016 9am
Equality Diversity and Human Rights Week 2016 is launched today. Coordinated by NHS Employers, #EQW2016 is a national platform for organisations to highlight their work to create a fairer, more inclusive NHS for patients and staff.
The theme for this year is Making change happen. The focus for the week, and beyond, will be on how health and social care organisations have used the levers of the Equality Delivery System (EDS2) and the Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) to support change within their workplaces. We are also encouraging organisations to celebrate how they have used their staff networks and social networks, to empower and engage with staff.
Danny Mortimer, Chief Executive of NHS Employers said:
“The NHS has got one of the most diverse workforces in the world, and we should be proud of that range of talent. Occasions like Equality, Diversity and Human Rights Week allow us to celebrate that diversity, and explore what benefits it brings the patients and communities we are proud to serve.
The week couldn’t happen without the passion, enthusiasm and support of the hundreds and thousands of diversity champions and change agents on the ground across the health and social care sector. They deserve our thanks for the work that they do on behalf of patients and their colleagues.
I am very clear that we must not be defensive or complacent about where we are, and must recognise candidly that there is still much to do in terms of addressing the variation in experience of too many in our workforce. I therefore hope that this week will be an opportunity for you and your colleagues to celebrate, reflect and review what you do well as well as be honest about what you could do better. And please let us know, as part of that process, what we at NHS Employers can do to help you in your endeavour.”
Get involved in EQW2016:
- Follow the new @NHSE_Diversity twitter account for live action throughout the week, and join the conversation using #EQW2016
- Join our twibbon campaign and show your support on your own social media channels
- Find out what other trusts are doing on our EQW2016 interactive map, and tell us what your trust is doing for EQW2016
- Access and use the free tools and resources in our EQW2016 communications toolkit to deliver your local campaign
- Look out for the resources being launched throughout the week on our activities calendar.