18 / 5 / 2016 12.01pm
Today, Professor Jane Cummings, chief nursing officer for England, launches the leading change, adding value framework via a live streaming event. The framework encourages nursing, midwifery and care staff to identify where and why there is variation in preventing ill health, care and efficiency.
Professor Jane Cummings said: "The leadership potential in our workforce to manage the challenges of today and shape the future is boundless. From addressing differences in the incidence of pressure ulcers, to changing pathways of care and support in diagnosing diabetes – nursing, midwifery and care staff are ideally placed to be leading that change and demonstrating their value.”
The framework was developed by collecting evidence from frontline staff, the public, academics and nurse leaders from across the health and care system. Following an extensive consultation and engagement process, the ten commitments were also developed to help to ensure better experience for patients, outcomes and use of resources.
1. We will promote a culture where improving the population’s health is a core component of the practice of all nursing, midwifery and care staff.
2. We will increase the visibility of nursing and midwifery leadership and input in prevention.
3. We will work with individuals, families and communities to equip them to make informed choices and manage their own health.
4. We will be centred on individuals experiencing high value care.
5. We will work in partnership with individuals, their families, carers and others important to them.
6. We will actively respond to what matters most to our staff and colleagues.
7. We will lead and drive research to evidence the impact of what we do.
8. We will have the right education, training and development to enhance our skills, knowledge and understanding.
9. We will have the right staff in the right places and at the right time.
10. We will champion the use of technology and informatics to improve practice, address unwarranted variations and enhance outcomes.
NHS England live streaming event
Go to NHS England's website to watch Professor Jane Cummings launch the framework via a live streaming event at 12.00pm today, and to download the framework.