17 / 5 / 2016 12.43pm
Revalidation has been a real success since it was launched by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) on 1 April 2016, with the majority of the 15,800 nurses and midwives who were due to revalidate in the first month, having successfully done so.
As thousands more prepare to go through the process over the coming months, there's lots you can do to actively encourage and support your nurses and midwives,
which is important for the 51,000 professionals due to submit their applications by 1 September. Employers play a key role in encouraging nurses and midwives to have their reflective discussions and to submit their applications as early as possible (up to 60 days before the renewal date).
What you can do
September is always a busy time for registration renewals and during this new period of revalidation, there will be a lot of reflective discussions and confirmations taking place, so it's vital you're prepared for this. As a minimum you are encouraged to:
- raise awareness of revalidation amongst your nurses and midwives
- ensure your nurses and midwives are able to revalidate
- identify renewal dates for your nurses and midwives and ensure they are aware
- encourage staff to register for NMC Online
- ensure staff can access the necessary IT equipment
- signpost nurses to the NMC's website.
Visit the NMC's dedicated revalidation employer section, which contains a number of resources to help you support your staff. These include an employers guide to revalidation, training materials,
leaflets, posters and more.