Today (16 June) we have published version 2 of the terms and conditions of service (TCS) for the new 2016 doctors and dentists in training contract. Note: The new doctors and dentists in training contract is subject to a referendum of relevant BMA members.
Version 2 of the proposed TCS includes a number of amendments and clarifications agreed between the BMA and NHS Employers. The majority of these are minor clarifications to wording or formatting. Key changes include:
- amendment to the weekend allowance for less than full time (LTFT) trainees
- insertion of the table of fines into Schedule 2 of TCS
- amendments to references to the GDC and Gold Guide in order better to reflect the arrangements for dental training
- removal of the provision requiring doctors in specific circumstances who were in unbanded ST1 posts on 31 October 2015 to have their pay protection based on band 1B
- addition of a pay premium of £1500 for doctors who move to the new pay terms and are in LTFT at the time of transition, or who are on maternity leave at the time of transition and subsequently return directly to an LTFT post.
Read briefing statement from Acas for further details on the agreement.
Read the letter from NHS Improvement to NHS employers in England. Organisations are asked to continue to suspend work on preparing for the introduction of the new junior doctors' contract from 3 August 2016.
Read the BMA's FAQs on the junior doctors' contract.