20 / 1 / 2009 4.03pm
This section contains the Terms and Conditions which detail the national agreements on pay and conditions of service for the following practitioners in a hospital setting:
- Junior doctors and dentists in training (including GP registrars during the hospital-based part of their training programme)
- Consultants on the pre-2003 contract
- Associate specialists on the pre-2008 contract
- Staff grades
- Clinical assistants
- Hospital practitioners
Terms and conditions of service
The current contractual arrangements for the above groups of staff have been in force since December 2000.
Associated documents for doctors in training
Associated documents include:
- AL(MD)1/2001 & Annex A - Letter authorising changes to the national pay and Terms and Conditions of Service
- AL(MD)1/2001 Annex B - Amendments to the Terms and Conditions of Service
- PM(81)30 - General guidance including recognition of service outside the NHS.
- The Gold Guide - A guide to specialty training (Fifth edition- 2014).
Amendments to the Terms and Conditions
All changes to these terms and conditions are notified to employers by pay and conditions circulars and notices in the NHS workforce bulletin.
Previous amendments and versions of the Terms and Conditions
Previous versions of the Terms and Conditions are available on request.
Guidance documents to be read alongside the terms and conditions are available on the links to the right of this page under ‘in this section’.