10 / 11 / 2015 5.09pm
Islington CCG was supported by Mencap and iWork to employ a person with a learning disability as a Band two Facility Support Officer.
The employee has now been in the role for two years, working two hours daily. As the employee’s confidence has grown, they have been able increase their responsibilities and now provide administrative support to other teams and on large projects. Additionally, the employee provides events support and has designed a floor layout to facilitate more interactive group discussions.
The role was initially developed due to an identified gap in the business support team. This role has enabled staff within the team to focus on their duties and has supported all staff to work more efficiently.
How we did it
- No adjustments were needed to accommodate the candidate’s employment.
- Mencap were contacted to support successful candidate when they first joined the CCG.
- Initially Mencap worked with them during the whole duration of their shift. Gradually this decreased to one hour, then alternate days and so forth until both parties agreed that additional support was not needed.
- The employee now works independently at the CCG.
- Each day the member of staff would work to an agreed work plan with each job listed in order.
- The day plan changed a couple of times as the employee developed a pattern of work that suited them but they also recognised the need to do certain tasks in a specific order.
- During one to one’s a visual achievement aid was used to demonstrate how well candidate was working based on feedback from Mencap. These included aids for: time keeping, list of daily duties completed and communication with staff.
- During regular one to ones our member of staff has identified additional skills they may be able to undertake and areas for improvement.
The selection process
- A learning disability specialist within iWork team was contacted and given the Job Description (JD).
- The learning disability specialist employment advisor looked through their caseload for suitable applicants.
- The CCG invited suitable applicants to attend an open day where members of the CCG were introduced, the role of the CCG was explained and there was a walk around the office.
- 6 candidates attended this information question and answer session.
- Candidates were given the opportunity to express an interest in proceeding to interview.
- 2 candidates came forward to be interviewed.
- Interview took an informal approach and focused on going through the job description in more detail – for example explaining working hours and the management structure.
- Candidates were invited to give examples of previous experience.
- The successful candidate was able to give an example of a previous job they had monitoring stationery supplies.
- iWork informed the candidates of the outcome of the interviews.