16 / 6 / 2015 8.09am
Partnership with Mencap and the NHS Leadership Academy, developed through the Head of HR
'Six week employment trail which developed into an 18 hour paid employment position.'
The Mencap 'Employ Me' service engaged with the head of human resources of the NHS Academy based in Leeds City Centre. Mencap’s 'Employ Me' service provides support for individuals in pre-employment and finding paid employment, works with employers to create work trials and placements, and provides job coaching and in-work support.
Mateusz was referred to the Mencap 'Employ Me' program by his disability employment advisor based at Pudsey Jobcentre. He had just finished college however had never worked in paid or voluntary work previous to joining the Mencap 'Employ Me' program.
Mateusz gained an initial six week employment trial at the NHS Leadership Academy with their facilities team. After the successful six-week work trial, he gained 18 hours paid employment with NHS Leadership Academy.
Mateusz is a valued member of the staff team at the NHS Leadership Academy. Over the last year, he has been given increased responsibility due to his keenness, and positive attitude to work. He is now supporting the senior management team to promote awareness of employing adults with a learning disability. He works a facilitator at the NHS Leadership Academy helping the purple team during HR events and Awareness meetings. He helps by customising the training rooms to the trainer’s needs. This includes, moving tables and chairs, setting up IT equipment and making sure the coffee machines are working correctly. Furthermore, Mateusz speaks about his experience of being employed at the NHS Academy and answers any questions that the delegates may raise.
How did we do it?
- A partnership developed between Mencap and the NHS Leadership Academy, through the head of HR.
- A six-week work trial was set up, with continued one-to-one support through the Mencap 'Employ Me' programme, including on the first day, and to complete a fire safety course, part of the core training.
- The NHS Leadership Academy provided support through a work buddy.
- Mencap continued to provide support to build confidence in the role, including bi-weekly reviews of the work plan, creating an individual learning plan, and setting targets and goals which were regularly monitored.
- Mencap also worked with the supervisor and work buddy, providing learning disability awareness training and guidance.
- Mencap also provided support in designing information that could be assessed.