06 / 1 / 2012 Midnight
An introduction to delivering information prescriptions, is an e-learning module specifically designed to support health and social care staff to develop the skills and competencies required for assessing information needs and prescribing appropriate information.
The time taken to complete the programme will vary from learner to learner but will typically take approximately 90 minutes. It is possible to complete the course in shorter chunks of time and save your progress.
This self contained module is free to use and is available from the NHS Core Learning Unit website
Social care staff can also access the programme from a dedicated social care Core Learning website.
Contents of module
This programme has been written to help everyone who is involved in delivering Information Prescriptions and covers:
Understanding information prescriptions
- Understanding what information prescriptions are and why they are important
- appreciating the benefits of information for individuals, carers and services
- ensuring you take a holistic approach to assessing a person’s information needs.
Assessing information needs
- ensuring your approach places the individual at the centre of your assessment
- enabling individuals to express their needs and concerns
- ensuring that your communication and information is delivered in an appropriate, clear and agreed method.
Meeting information needs
- ensuring information is tailored to an individual’s needs at the time
- ensuring your service is able to respond to changing needs
- ensuring information is offered in appropriate forms
- ensuring accurate records reduce duplication and avoid confusion.
Your information prescription
- encouraging you to continually improve your services’ ability to meet information needs
- creating your own information prescription to help you increase your knowledge, understanding and skills in developing and delivering them effectively.
This E-learning tool has been developed as part of NHS Employers wider mandate from the Department of Health. The E-learning module was developed by a project team including: NHS Employers, Department of Health, Skills for Health, Skills for Care, Voluntary sector organisations, including patient organisations, health and social care professionals and representatives from the information prescription pilot sites.
If you have any comments on the E-learning tool please contact Longtermconditions@dh.gsi.gov.uk