30 / 3 / 2015 4pm
On 26 February 2015, NHS Employers held a webinar aimed at providing employers in the NHS with the information needed to support their reservists.
Listen again to the webinar. The timings are included below.
The webinar was chaired by Sue Covill, director of the development and employment team at NHS Employers and attendees heard from:
MoD presentation – Future Reserves 01:50 - 24:02
Brigadier Peter Gilbert outlined the vital role that healthcare professionals in the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air force Reserves deliver. He spoke about the invaluable contribution they make to the nation over and above their day job, working alongside their regular counterparts to deliver medical military medical capability in an integrated fashion.
Employer experience of supporting reservists 24:50 - 35:14
Julie Anderson from The Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust talked about the trust's experiences of supporting reservists in the workforce, what support it gives and how this benefits the organisation and the member of staff.
The reservist experience 36:30 - 51:18
Major Tracey Smith-Straney is a clinical scientist and haematology lab manager at Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Tracey shared her experience of being a medical reservist.
Employer support from Defence Relationship Management (formerly SaBRE) 52:08 - 1:02:30
Richard Lenton, regional employer engagement director for Yorkshire and the Humber, shared how the organisation can assist employers.
Question and answer session 1:02:40 - end
Following the presentations, attendees submitted their questions:
- The NHS is currently identifying a shortage of nursing and other professions. How can we support reservists but also maintain patient care? Brigadier Peter Gilbert responds.
- How difficult is it to claim the financial assistance SaBRE offers and would this typically be the HR department that completes the claim? Richard Lenton responds.
- Is your experience of being a reservist typical? Major Tracey Smith-Straney and Brigadier Peter Gilbert respond.
- How can employers progress from the bronze award to gold? Richard Lenton responds.
- Do you think the sense of an award system means something to employers? Julie Anderson responds.
- Are there plans to map clinical competencies learnt in the military back to the NHS? Julie Anderson and Brigadier Peter Gilbert respond.
- Is there an employer support package to help recruit reservists where relationships with the MoD do not exist? Richard Lenton and Brigadier Peter Gilbert respond.
- What happens if a reservist is sick or injured while mobilised and what is the NHS' responsibility if an employees mental health is affected? Brigadier Peter Gilbert and Richard Lenton respond.
- How can employers make sure the learning gained as a reservists is utilised within the trust? Major Tracey Smith-Straney responds.