25 / 2 / 2013 3.55pm
Application forms completed by the prospective employee should include details of:
- current or most recent designated body (DB)
- the name and contact details of the current/most recent RO
- date of last revalidation / expected date of next revalidation.
Plans are already in place to capture this information on the NHS Jobs medical application form.
Pre-employment checks made by the employing organisation will need to confirm:
- the applicant’s current or most recent DB
- the name and contact details of the applicant’s current/most recent RO
- date of the applicant’s last and next revalidation date
- the applicant’s next appraisal due date
The RO must:
- check that the new doctor has correctly linked to your organisation on GMC Connect
- ensure doctors have the necessary qualifications and experience for the role
- ensure appropriate references are obtained and checked - it may be advisable to request a structured pre-employment reference from the current RO
- take any necessary steps to verify the identity of doctors
- ensure language testing is performed where appropriate
- consider requesting appraisal outputs including appraisal summary and PDP from annual appraisals since last revalidation / start of revalidation from the previous RO(s), or in the case of doctors coming out of a deanery managed training post, copies of their ARCP form from the deanery.
Suggested text for letters of employments
Employers may wish to include the following text in letters of appointment, where appropriate:
- "Your new RO will need to see evidence of any appraisal outputs and patient and colleague feedback (where available) / ARCP forms* since your last revalidation / start of revalidation** in order to make a revalidation recommendation when it is due. If you are unable to supply this information, we may request it from your previous RO(s)."
- "Your employment as a doctor brings with it an obligation to engage with all the processes of revalidation, job planning and appraisal."
* Deaneries will supply copies of relevant ARCP forms for doctors coming out of deanery managed training posts
**delete as applicable
Induction and in employment
Locums and doctors on temporary or fixed-term contracts