Latest figures released by NHS Digital show that for June 2018 the monthly NHS staff sickness absence was 3.90 per cent, which is the same as it was during June 2011.
The data considers sickness absence rates and total days lost supplied by staff groups, Health Education England (HEE), regions and organisations as follows:
- The lowest sickness absence rate by staff group in June 2018 was 1.15 per cent for nursing, midwifery and health visiting learners. This is followed by medical and dental staff with 1.23 per cent.
- The highest sickness absence rates by staff group is healthcare assistants and other support staff at 6.06 per cent.
- By organisation type the ambulance service has an overall sickness absence rate of 4.98 per cent for June 2018, which is the lowest rate showed for the ambulance service since June 2010.
- The lowest overall sickness absence for organisational type are clinical commissioning groups with a per centage rate of 2.63.
- The North West HEE region had the highest sickness absence rate at 4.48 per cent followed closely by North East HEE at 4.40 per cent.
- The lowest regional sickness absence rate for June 2018 at 3.32 per cent is South London HEE and North West London with the same per centage rates.
Resources to help you manage sickness absence
Watch our video case study, tackling sickness absence showing how Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust put people before process and had a significant impact on sickness absence rates as a result.
Our health and wellbeing sickness absence and MSK webinar showcased proven strategies and best in class examples for managing sickness absence.
Our everything you need to know about sickness absence tool is designed to help managers support staff with a confident and consistent approach to sickness absence. It includes a step-by-step guide for what to do when a staff member calls in sick, practical advice on some of the common reasons for sickness absence and information on what to do if staff are frequently off sick.
Access our action on absence webpages for more information and guidance, including our updated interactive sickness absence calculator and our eight elements to reducing sickness absence.
For more information on the sickness absence data, please see the NHS Digital.