In anticipation of year two of the pay deal, starting on 1 April 2019, a number of resources were published. This included an updated NHS Terms and Conditions of Service handbook, a refreshed online pay tool, and an at a glance document by the Staff Council explaining the changes from 1 April. More information on these resources can be found below.
In addition, two new resources have now been published:
- Technical pay guidance - this goes in to additional detail compared to the at a glance guidance, and is designed for those that may have to explain the changes to other staff.
- 2019/20 pay poster - this has been produced following requests for a more printable version of the pay scales. Please note - this is a three-year deal, so using the online pay tool may be more useful.
NHS Terms and Conditions of Service handbook
The NHS Terms and Conditions of Service handbook was updated on 1 April 2019. The handbook has been revised and re-published (as version 40) following negotiations on a number of areas over the past year. Terms and Conditions Advisory Notice 1/2019 details these changes in full, but in summary:
- Section 15 of the handbook has been redrafted to include enhanced shared parental leave.
- A new section of the handbook, section 23, has been introduced covering child bereavement leave.
- Part 5 of the handbook has been redrafted by the NHS Staff Council's equality, diversity, and inclusion group.
- Annex 23 (England) has been redrafted to reflect the new pay progression arrangements.
In addition the changes to terms and conditions, the online pay tool has also been updated. None of the figures have changed, but the front end of the tool has been redesigned, to try and improve user friendliness.
The values for the hourly rates and salaries including high cost area supplements (HCAS) have also been updated for the 2019/20 pay rates.
To tie in with the start of year two of the three-year deal, the NHS Staff Council has published an at a glance guide to what employers and staff need to know.