We have updated our pension tax guidance with information on the new pension tax arrangement announced by NHS England and NHS Improvement. The guidance outlines measures that can be taken locally to support service delivery by mitigating the impact of pension taxation on the NHS. The update includes an addendum with information on the announcement and what you should consider in light of this latest development.
We have also updated our presentation slide pack to help you brief colleagues, including your board, about pension tax issues and the recent announcement. The slide pack includes:
- key information about the NHS Pension Scheme and its benefits
- an overview of the annual allowance, including options for affected staff
- findings from our recently published pension tax research
- possible solutions being explored nationally and locally
- actions for boards to consider.
The new pension tax arrangement announced by NHS England and NHS Improvement is now available to all members of the NHS Pension Scheme who are in active clinical roles. Under this new scheme, the NHS will meet the costs of any annual allowance charge incurred by clinicians as a result of work activities undertaken during this financial year. More information can be found on the NHS England and NHS Improvement website.
Find out more about annual allowance on our web pages.