To help workforce leaders across the health system with plans to respond to COVID-19 (coronavirus), we are today launching the first part of new guidance to help you provide protection and support for your staff.
The guidance deals with the workforce and HR issues that are likely to arise during the current pandemic and is intended to supplement your local plans and help you enact them.
It has been collated by the Department of Health and Social Care, NHS England and NHS Improvement, Public Health England, Health Education England and NHS Employers, so that the latest advice is available for you in one central resource.
We have also shared the guidance with colleagues from the main health unions and staff organisations, to ensure that we are taking a supportive and co-ordinated response
The first key section of the COVID-19 guidance launches today, with further guidance to be added later this week. The section launched today covers:
- Staff health, safety and wellbeing – including advice on dealing with COVID-19 from Public Health England and the NHS Staff Council; occupational health services; staff with co-morbidities; personal protective equipment; emotional and mental support during the emergency period.
We will publish further guidance later this week, which will cover:
- staff terms and conditions of service
- communicating with your workforce during the pandemic
- increasing capacity through bringing back staff and additional sources of supply
partnership working and facilities time
- enabling staff movement across organisations
- assurance around indemnity arrangements, pre-employment checks and professional registration.
The COVID-19 pandemic is a rapidly developing situation and our guidance will be updated and supplemented on a regular basis, to respond to the situation and help you support your workforce.
Access the guidance on our COVID-19 web pages