New improving retention guide
In partnership with NHS England and NHS Improvement, we have refreshed our retention guidance in line with the latest learning and innovation from COVID-19 and the ambitions set out in the NHS People Promise.
The guide is aimed at leaders and line managers who play a vital role in improving retention across their organisation, and equips them to have regular conversations with colleagues to discuss ways to support them to stay.
It includes new case study examples, showcasing NHS trusts who are making a difference to their people and patients. The guide provides helpful tips and tools to support employers with taking positive action in retention across a number of areas, including:
- shaping organisational culture
- understanding your data
- communicating with your staff
- supporting new starters and those moving roles
- supporting international staff
- development and career planning
- supporting staff in late career
- flexible working
- flexible retirement
- health and wellbeing
- recognising and rewarding your staff.