Trusts celebrate silver in Defence employer awards
A total of 31 trusts have been recognised for their support of the Armed Forces community after either achieving or being revalidated as silver in this year’s Defence Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS).
The impressive figure follows the 24 trusts recognised as achieving the highest recognition gold awards, announced earlier this year.
The ERS is run by the Ministry of Defence. It aims to encourage employers to recognise and champion the value that Armed Forces community members bring to the workplace.
To take part, employers must first sign the Armed Forces Covenant. They should also adjust corporate policies and workplace culture to ensure Armed Forces community members are supported at work and not disadvantaged during recruitment due to their military status.
Organisations progress through the levels of ERS bronze, silver and gold as they demonstrate commitment to the scheme through sustained actions and activities.
Bronze awards are a rolling programme throughout the year, whereas silver awards are decided regionally by local Reserve Force and Cadet Associations and announced over the summer. Gold awards are decided by a national board with the announcement signed off by the Secretary of State for Defence, usually in July.
Celebrating this year’s awards
The fantastic achievements of NHS trusts achieving gold and silver in 2022 will be celebrated at two special networking sessions in September.
NHS Employers Armed Forces team will host celebratory Community Connect sessions on 20 and 22 September, shining a spotlight on gold and silver recipients and allowing others to learn from their experience. The sessions will include presentations from award-wining trusts, opportunities for questions and more details on the benefits of getting involved in the ERS programme.
See the full list of trusts achieving ERS silver:
- Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
- Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Devon Partnership NHS Trust
- Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (revalidated)
- East London NHS Trust
- East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust (revalidated)
- Epsom & St Helier NHS Foundation Trust
- Gloucestershire Health & Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Harrogate & District NHS Foundation Trust (revalidated)
- King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Leeds and York NHS Partnership Foundation Trust
- Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust (revalidated)
- Lincolnshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (revalidated)
- Liverpool Heart & Chest NHS Foundation Trust
- Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- North Bristol NHS Trust
- North Tees & Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust (revalidated)
- Northern Lincolnshire & Goole NHS Foundation Trust
- Royal Marsden NHS Trust
- Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (revalidated)
- South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- South Tees Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Tees, Esk and Wear Valley NHS Foundation Trust
- The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospitals NHS Trust (revalidated)
- United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust (revalidated)
- University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust
- University Hospitals Dorset NHS Foundation Trust
For more information about NHS Employers support for the Armed Forces and how your organisation can get involved, see our Supporting the Armed Forces community web page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.