Use of the term middle grade

doctor and patient

Specialty and associate specialist doctors should be referred to by the contract they are on, for example specialty doctors, associate specialist doctors, staff grades, or in short, SAS doctors.

Employers are advised not to use the term middle grade to refer to SAS doctors as there is no such grade. Employers are also advised not to use the term middle grade rota but instead use more acceptable terms such as middle or intermediate tier rota or SAS rota. Alternatively where the groups are mixed, it may also be referred to as higher specialty trainee and SAS rota.

Why Register?

Great reasons to register with NHS Employers

  • A personalised website
    Manage your profile and select topics of interest to you
  • Access your dashboard
    Bookmark useful content to help you quickly find what you're looking for
  • Get involved
    Contribute to our Talking Points discussions, comment on and rate our webpages
  • Keep up to date
    Receive the latest newsletters and media summaries

Log In