This is based on feedback collected from employers during an extensive period of engagement. It covers doctors in training, specialty and associate specialist (SAS) doctors, consultants and salaried primary care dentists.
Doctors' and Dentists' Review Body
The independent review body on doctors' and dentists' remuneration (DDRB) makes recommendations to the government on pay awards for medical and dental staff. NHS Employers submits evidence to the DDRB, based on information collected from our policy board and our regular meetings with NHS medical and HR directors. Final decisions on pay awards are made by the government.
This is based on feedback collected from employers during an extensive period of engagement. It covers doctors in training, specialty and associate specialist (SAS) doctors, consultants and salaried primary care dentists. We have also responded to DDRB's request for us to consider targeting pay.
- The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic is one of the biggest challenges the NHS has faced.
- There has been an outstanding response from the workforce to the challenges presented by the pandemic.
- Staff have been under enormous pressure and supporting their health and wellbeing is a priority.
- Workforce shortages remain the highest concern for employers and the supply issues need to be addressed. Employers remain committed to retaining staff but the health and wellbeing of staff and the risks of staff burnout, especially considering the pandemic, coupled with gaps in the workforce make this a greater challenge.
- We welcome the confirmation in the 2020 Spending Review that NHS staff will receive a pay award. Employers want to see an award which is fully funded and sustainable and which is fair to all staff.
- In December 2020, parties concluded negotiations on two contracts, a new Specialty Doctor and a Specialist grade contract that will replace the closed associate specialist grade. The framework agreement proposal is now being put to a referendum of BMA members in the SAS grades, for implementation from April 2021.