NHS Employers has partnered with NHS England to provide a range of resources to encourage and support health organisations to increase their recruitment of people with learning disabilities.
The aims of the resources are to raise awareness, highlight good practice, break down the barriers that both employers and potential employees may face, and create a culture that welcomes people with learning disabilities.
Make a pledge and support diversity in the workplace
We are inviting organisations to make a pledge to demonstrate their commitment to employing people with learning disabilities, find out how to make your pledge.
During February and March 2019 we held two webinars which were facilitated by the National Development Team for Inclusion (NDTi) to help support NHS organisations to employ more people with a learning disability. The webinars included a number of case studies which highlighted how some organisations have supported people with learning disabilities into employment.
Recruiting a diverse workforce – Learning Disability Employment Programme from NHS Employers on Vimeo.
A guide to supported employment through partnership working - Learning Disability Employment Programme from NHS Employers on Vimeo.
Tools and resources
- How to recruit and support disabled staff in the NHS is an interactive toolkit to help organisations attract, recruit and retain disabled staff through supportive and inclusive recruitment, and includes guidance around reasonable adjustments.
- A Health Passport which allows individuals to easily record information about their condition, any reasonable adjustments they may have in place and any difficulties they face.
- An employers guide to supported employment - Published by that National Employment Development Team (NDTi), this guide helps employers understand how they can tap into this potential talent pool. NDTi has also developed an Employers Roadmap which highlights the recruitment journey and tips for being more inclusive during this process.
- I can we can - Disability Matters have developed an e-learning resource which outlines the importance of work experience for people with learning difficulties.
- An infographic which explains why you should employ more people with learning disabilities.
- A video produced by Bridgewater Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust highlighting what they doing locally around the recruitment of staff with disabilities and learning difficulties.
Government Digital Service
The Government Digital Service accessibility team has also published a series of guides on making it easier to build digital services that are accessible for everyone. These include an introduction to making your service accessible and a guide to testing for accessibility.
For more information visit the Government Digital Service website.