Since the launch of Do OD in 2013, we have invested significant resource in the area of building OD capacity and capability. Working alongside the OD community in the spirit of co-production we:
- carried out a short action research project, written up and published in the Journal of Action Learning and Research. The project focused on three strands of inquiry: branding, identity and capability. We recommended that all OD practitioners should have a safe space to stay sharp and that further research be undertaken into OD capability
- undertook a deep dive inquiry into OD Capability where OD practitioners contributed via individual interview, focus group and online survey. We published a report summarising the findings of the inquiry which included demographic data, an overview of OD practice and suggestions for how capability can be improved
- worked in partnership with the Local Leadership Academies and trained two cohorts of OD Virtual Mentors who work across the healthcare system offering mentoring to OD practitioners.
As part of this work, our OD community helped us to develop a new model of OD capability. The Do OD Capability Model highlights the need for practitioners to work on their purpose, practice and presence. The model was launched as a digital self-assessment tool in the Do OD app and is also available as a PDF download.
The model covers nine themes, under three areas and focuses on our:
- purpose – including our impact, clarity and coherence
- practice – including our competence, identity and confidence
- presence – including our power, profile and positioning.
At the heart of the model is our self as an instrument of change, drawing on our agency, instrumentality and passion as practitioners of OD.
See the Do OD Capability Model, we’d love to hear about your experiences of using it. Email us with your contact details and we’ll get in touch for a chat.