What is healthcare science week?
Healthcare science week is an annual week of celebration and awareness-raising for the many careers in healthcare science. It provides your healthcare science professionals with an opportunity to promote their profession and inspire the scientific workforce of the future.
People in your community have the chance to learn about what scientists do and the vital role they play in patient care and treatment.
When is it taking place?
Healthcare Science Week 2019 takes place from 8-17 March alongside British Science Week
Who should get involved?
Getting involved in healthcare science week is easy, as there are many ways you can take part. Now is the time to encourage lead scientists and healthcare science ambassadors in your organisation to start planning their local activity. Your trust could have a stand in a public area or the foyer of the hospital, give a presentation in a school or college, or invite school and college students into one of the healthcare science departments. For inspiration, take a look at what took place across hospitals, schools and colleges during last year's campaign in our social media summary and in the map of events below.
This year, we are using the hashtag #HCSweek19 so please include it in all your social media activity. You can also be inspired and see other activities taking place by following @WeHCScientists
Share what you are doing
Our map of events highlights lots of great healthcare science week activities taking place across the country so you can be inspired by what others are doing. Find out what is happening in your local healthcare science community to look for ways to collaborate with neighbours.
We would like to hear about what you have planned and include this in our map of events. Please email a brief outline of what you have planned to email@example.com
with dates and lead contact details, and we will be in touch.
Information and resources are available to organisations to help make Healthcare Science Week 2019 a success.
- Our activity toolkit for healthcare scientists contains information on who to engage with, activity ideas, top tips and resources to help make the most of the week.
- Download and use the official HCS Week logo.
- Promote healthcare science as a career with our A3 poster.
- Health Careers has produced a guide for healthcare science week which can help NHS organisations plan their activity. They also have a guide careers in healthcare science which showcases the many roles that science has in healthcare.
- Download the healthcare science ambassadors toolkit from the Health Careers website.
- British Science Week plan your activities web page gives lots of ideas and tips on how to organise events.
- Read Jo Horne's blog on leading the way for women in healthcare science, where she discusses her role in driving change for women in healthcare science.
- You can find a great animation on YouTube developed by the North West Healthcare Science Network that shows the unique contribution healthcare scientists make to patient care.
- Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust has produced a series of healthcare science films designed to help students with their career choices.
- Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust have produced a great new video to showcase the innovative work their healthcare scientists are involved in.