As part of the 2018 pay deal, band 1 closed to new entrants with effect from 1 December 2018.
Closing band 1 workshops
NHS Employers is holding a series of individually tailored, interactive workshops to support NHS organisations with the transition of band 1 employees to band 2.
There will be three mandatory workshop sessions delivered over a six-month period of January to June 2020. Places will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis.
The workshops will be an opportunity to:
- be individually supported to develop an action plan which you can take back to your organisation
- receive tailored support via phone calls and visits in between workshops from a designated member of the NHS Employers team
- speak and collaborate with colleagues from across England to share good practice and solutions
- have designated time and space to reflect on the current challenges faced within your organisation
- have space and time to share how success has been achieved and implemented
- ensuring your organisation makes the most of transferring staff from band 1 to band 2
- plan for the future.
The dates for the workshops are as follows:
The first workshop will focus on sharing good practice, discussing challenges and reflecting on what work has been undertaken so far. The second and third workshops will focus on understanding, and making the most of, the benefits of transitioning staff from band 1 to band 2.
Please note only one representative per trust may attend and the representative must attend all three workshops. The representative will be expected to engage in discussions and actively participate in the development of wider resources to share on our website. NHS Employers will support employers between workshops.
To book your place on the workshops please email email@example.com with:
- your name and job title
- your first and second location preference.
Resources to help you
The NHS Staff Council has reached agreement on the process for transferring existing band 1 staff to band 2 and supporting staff who wish to remain in band one. Additional resources are also available to help support with the transition of staff.
- National agreement on the process for transitioning existing band 1 staff to band 2, and supporting staff who wish to remain in band 1
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Employer information checklist
- Guidance on the differences between band 1 and band 2
- Example band 2 job descriptions from the Scotland process.
The Staff Council sub group previously published suggested immediate steps for organisations to take ahead of the closing of band 1 in December 2018, as well as advice on planning for the transition of existing staff, and suggested key message to communicate with staff. These can all be found on our background to the closing of band 1 web page.