This section contains the Terms and Conditions which detail the national agreements on pay and conditions of service for the following practitioners in a hospital setting:
- Junior doctors and dentists in training (including GP registrars during the hospital-based part of their training programme)
- Consultants on the pre-2003 contract
- Associate specialists on the pre-2008 contract
- Staff grades
- Clinical assistants
- Hospital practitioners
Terms and conditions of service
The current contractual arrangements for the above groups of staff have been in force since December 2000.
Associated documents for doctors in training
Associated documents include:
- AL(MD)1/2001 & Annex A - Letter authorising changes to the national pay and Terms and Conditions of Service
- AL(MD)1/2001 Annex B - Amendments to the Terms and Conditions of Service
- PM(81)30 - General guidance including recognition of service outside the NHS.
Junior Doctor Banding Questionnaire
When the current junior doctor contract was introduced in 2000 a banding questionnaire with an accompanying glossary was used in order to assess the correct banding supplement payable under the new system. This document is still applicable to full time trainees under the 2000 junior doctor contract and we would encourage employers to refer to the document when assessing banding supplements. To view this document, click on Banding Questionnaire.