Armed Forces Week is a week-long annual celebration which started on Monday 19 June 2023 to recognise members of the Armed Forces community. Throughout the week we championed serving troops, veterans, cadets and their families and showcased the support we offer through our NHS Employers Armed Forces programmes.
Key events for the week
- Reserves Day, 21 June. We highlighted and recognised the valuable contribution Reservists make to our Armed Forces.
- Armed Forces Day, 24 June. A celebration of the Armed Forces as the week came to a close.
We’d love to hear how you supported and celebrated the week, let us know at our Armed Forces email address.
Our virtual events
Armed Forces Reservists Community Connect
Took place 21 June, 10:30am - midday
- how to create an internal armed forces network
- hear from a serving Reservist in the NHS
- the opportunity to ask questions in smaller breakout sessions, to those that have experience of putting these practices into place.
Step into Health - NHS as your next career path
Took place 22 June, 11am-midday
Our joint webinar with the Career Transition Partnership, informed members of the Armed Forces community how Step into Health provides a supported pathway into NHS careers, and how those who attended can take the first steps towards a career in the NHS.
The webinar was open to all UK Armed Forces service leavers, reservists, veterans including wounded, injured and sick, Cadet Force Adult Volunteers, and Armed Forces families (partners and adult children).
- Gary Tolometti, leadership consultant at Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, discussed his lived experience as a service leaver who works in the NHS and the benefits of the NHS as an employer.
- Steve Martin, patient safety improvement programme manager and chair of the Armed Forces Network at United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust, shared how organisations like his can support members of the Armed Forces community in their NHS careers.