The Staff Council's remit includes:
- maintaining the Agenda for Change pay system
- negotiating any changes in core conditions for staff on Agenda for Change and reflecting these in the NHS terms and conditions of service handbook
- providing national support on interpreting the national agreement for employers and trade unions.
Where local partnerships are unable to agree an interpretation of the NHS terms and conditions of service, parties are able to submit a joint referral to the NHS Staff Council seeking clarity. These can be made to the joint NHS Staff Council secretaries via the NHS Staff Council secretariat. Referrals must be made in partnership (employer and trade union) in order for the NHS Staff Council to be able to give a view.
Meeting dates of the Staff Council Executive
The 2022 meetings of the Staff Council Executive are:
- Wednesday 19 January
- Monday 16 May
- Thursday 14 July
- Friday 18 November
The 2023 meetings of the Staff Council Executive are:
- Thursday 12 January
NHS Staff Council Executive members
The English employers side of the executive committee of the NHS Staff Council is chaired by Jon Lenney, Director of Workforce and Organisational Development, Manchester Local Care Organisation.
The Scottish government, Health and Community Care, Welsh assembly government and The Department of Health and Social Care, Social Services and Public Safety (Northern Ireland) are also represented.
- Sara Gorton (Staff side chair) - Head of Health, UNISON
- Alice Sorby (Staff side treasurer) - Director, Employment Relations, Royal College of Midwives
- Elaine Sparkes - Assistant Director for Employment Relations and Union Services, The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
- Rachel Harrison - Public Services National Officer, GMB Trade Union
- Colenzo Jarrett-Thorpe - National Officer for Health, Unite The Union
- Joanne Galbraith-Marten – Director of Employment Relations and Legal Services, Royal College of Nursing
- Matt McLaughlin, UNISON, Scotland
- Nicky Hughes, Associate Director of Nursing, Royal College of Nursing, Cymru Wales
- Kevin McAdam - Regional Officer, Unite The Union Northern Ireland
- Jon Lenney (Employer Chair) - Director of Workforce and Organisational Development, Manchester Local Care Organisation
- Alex van Rees (Employer Secretary) - Head of Employment Relations, NHS Employers
- Tom Nettel - Director of People, Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Oonagh Monkhouse - Director of Workforce and Organisational Development, Royal Papworth Hospital
- Andrew Maloney - Director of Human Resources and Deputy Chief Executive, Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Steve Ned - Joint Director of Human Resources and Organisational Development, The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust and Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Ian Reid - Secretary, Management Steering Group (NHS Scotland Employers)
- Richard Tompkins - Director, NHS Wales Employers
- Karen Hargan - Director of Human Resources, Organisational Development and Corporate Communications, Northern Health and Social Care Trust (NHS Northern Ireland Employers)
NHS Staff Council documentation
NHS terms and conditions of service pay materials (April 2022)
Access amended products following uplifts to the National Living Wage and the continuation of the Band 8 & 9 consolidated payment from 1 April 2022.
1 April 2022
Updated health and wellbeing infographics
We have updated four of our popular infographics to help you demonstrate the importance of looking after our NHS people.
30 March 2022
NHS Staff Council guidance - Platinum Jubilee public holiday
New guidance from the NHS Staff Council outlines the arrangements for leave and pay for the Platinum Jubilee on 3 June 2022.
25 March 2022
Health, Safety and Wellbeing Partnership Group (HSWPG)
The NHS Staff Council’s HSWPG was established to:
- raise standards of workplace health, safety and wellbeing in healthcare organisations
- promote a safer working environment for all healthcare staff
- promote best practice across the NHS and independent sector.
Membership of the partnership group is made up of NHS Employers representatives, nominated representatives from within the NHS and trade union representatives.
Please note the HSWPG will be reviewing some of the key guidance, including:
- The importance of effective partnership working on health, safety and wellbeing (pdf)
- Workplace health and safety standards (pdf)
- Back in work part 1 - Introduction and key messages (pdf)
- Back in work part 2 - staff guide (pdf)
- Back in work part 3 - line manager guide (pdf)
- Back in work part 4 - safety reps guide (pdf)
- Back in work part 5 - workplace and individual assessment tool (pdf)
- Back in work part 6 - further information and quick links (pdf)
Read how you can support your managers, staff and their trade union safety representatives to help create a culture that improves staff safety.
15 October 2019
Bullying in healthcare
Resources and guidance to help build a positive culture and a supportive environment.
1 January 2019
Supporting the wellbeing of shift workers in healthcare
Understand the importance of supporting shift workers with our new guide.
14 February 2020
Improving the personal safety for lone workers
Understand how to protect yourself as a lone worker as well as how your employer and manager should support you.
2 March 2018
Domestic violence and abuse
This publication is designed to give organisations information when developing a domestic violence and abuse policy.
21 November 2017
The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Group (EDIG)
The EDIG is a national technical group of the NHS Staff Council and works to deliver the equality agenda. The EDIG works in partnership and prepares an annual work programme which is agreed by the executive of the NHS Staff Council. The group comprises of employer representatives from across the NHS and health care.
The Scottish Government, Welsh Assembly Government and the Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (Northern Ireland) are also represented on the EDIG
Improving staff equality networks through partnership working
As the role of the staff network grows, how they interact with existing forums becomes even more important to ensuring groups work effectively.
19 November 2021
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Training
Published by the NHS Staff Council, this is a framework for the delivery of mandatory NHS equality, diversity and inclusion training for all staff.
15 October 2021
Working together to peel back the layers of inequalities
Alice Sorby and Ludlow Johnson highlight the work of the NHS Staff Councils' Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Group.
11 November 2020