Guidance and resources for employers to use to help with implementation of the 2021 Specialty Doctor and Specialist grade contracts.
Guidance for implementation
- Key changes at a glance - this document provides an overview of the key changes in the 2021 contracts
- Employer checklist - this document provides a list of the key actions employers will need to take to implement the 2021 contracts.
- Implementation guidance - full guidance for employers implementing the new 2021 contracts including transitional arrangements and guidance on the new Specialist grade.
- Choice exercise flowchart - use this flow chart to follow the step by step process for existing SAS doctors wanting to transition to the new 2021 contracts.
- Template letter for choice exercise and checklist - this document provides a checklist for employers undertaking the choice exercise for SAS doctors in their trust, including a template letter to send to their SAS doctors.
- FAQs - read the frequently asked questions relating to SAS contract reform 2021.
- Individual pay journeys - this document provides a detailed breakdown of the individual pay journeys for existing SAS doctors who move to the new 2021 contracts.
- Pay progression template - this document provides a template form that employers can use and adapt locally for the new pay progression process that will be introduced from 1 April 2023.
- SAS advocate role guidance - this guidance provides practical advice about the value of the role, and the skills, knowledge and resources a guardian may need to be effective in the post. (Note: his role is not mandatory or form part of the TCS)
Specialist grade guidance
- Specialist grade generic capabilities framework - this document outlines the capabilities that a doctor will need to evidence in order to enter the grade.
- Specialist grade template person specification - download this document to help you develop a clear description of the requirements for an individual Specialist role.
- Concordat on the appointment of Specialist grades - read the concordat by NHS Employers, British Medical Association and the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges which have worked together to ensure that the highest standard of professional medical practice in NHS employing organisations are maintained in the appointment of Specialist grades.
- Notes on person specification template - this list contains illustrative examples of specialty-specific criteria and guidance for reference. It shows ways in which the template person specification may be amended or extended to be made suitable for different specialties.
- Specialist grade appointment guidance – this document provides additional guidance to support the transition of Associate Specialists into the Specialist grade, including an easy-to-use template for doctors to evidence that they meet the criteria in the capabilities framework.