First established in 2020, the month-long celebration provides a platform to help people better understand the diversity of present-day Britain. Over the next four weeks NHS organisations are encouraged to support the month.
The theme this year is ‘Stories to tell’ - all about celebrating the stories that make up our diverse and vibrant community.
Paul Deemer, head of diversity and inclusion at NHS Employers said: “The NHS has a higher proportion of staff from South Asia than the wider economy - these staff made up 4.2 per cent (56,716) of the NHS workforce in 2022.
South Asian Heritage Month is a fantastic opportunity to celebrate the contribution of South Asian communities to the NHS. There is a range of events taking place across the NHS and we encourage employers to showcase their events and to celebrate the work of South Asian communities in health and social care”.
Blogs and news
Read the personal experiences of health and care leaders:
Manchester doctor wins award for her work with South Asian Heritage Month - Dr Binita Kane, a Respiratory Consultant at Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, won the award for South Asian Leader of 2022
Reflections on how her South Asian heritage has helped her in her role - Dr Navina Evans, NHS England's chief workforce officer and CEO of Health Education England.
- Overcoming challenges as a South Asian NHS leader with a disability - Faisal Hussain, non-executive director and deputy chair at Leicestershire Partnership NHS.
- Senior leader Randeep Kular on using her personal experiences to enhance health outcomes - Randeep Kaur Kular, Director of Strategic Projects at University Hospitals Birmingham.
- A story from Jobby Abraham - read the story of a radiographer at Sheffield Children's Hospital.
Here are just a few of the events being held across the NHS to celebrate and educate:
- Wednesday 19 July, 12.30 - 1.45pm
Race to lunch - celebrating South Asian Heritage month - Royal College of Midwives workshop.
- Wednesday 19 July, 12 - 1pm
Webinar: In conversation with Jaspreet Kaur - East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust.
- Thursday 20 July, 9am - 1pm
Stories to Tell - Celebrating South Asian Heritage Month - Nottinghamshire Alliance Training Hub.
- Wednesday 26 July, 1-2pm
South Asian Heritage Month webinar: Stories to tell- Sheffield Children’s Hospital
- Friday 28 July, 5-7pm
South Asian Heritage Month with Binita Kane- APNA (South Asian heritage NHS leaders network)
- Wednesday 9 August, 5.30 - 8pm
Stories to tell - Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Tuesday 8 August and Thursday 10 August, 1pm
Wear your cultural dress - Sheffield Children's Hospital, in the Joy Garden.
Please let us know at email@example.com how you are supporting South Asian Heritage month this year and we will add your activities to this page.
Find out more
Visit the South Asian Heritage Month website to learn more about the campaign and access their calendar of activities.
To join the conversation on Twitter use #SouthAsianHeritageMonth.