NHS Employers, the BMA and the devolved administrations have agreed a UK guide to job planning for specialty and associate specialist doctors
(published November 2012). The guide reflects a shared understanding of the key principles which should characterise a collaborative approach to the job planning process. It follows similar guidance produced in 2011 for consultants and their employers.
Some of the key principles of the guidance are that job planning should be:
Job planning guidance
- undertaken in a spirit of collaboration and cooperation
- mutually agreed and not imposed
- completed in good time with at least annual review
- reflective of the professionalism of being a doctor
- agreed taking account of the career development and aspirations of the doctor
- focused on maintaining high-quality care
- transparent, fair and honest
- agreed taking into account the individual doctor’s area(s) of expertise
- agreed with adequate provision for any activities mandated by regulating agencies
- responsive to appraisal discussion.
Contracting for additional programmed activities
The contracting for additional programmed activities web page contains guidance on additional programmed activities for SAS doctors.