Please be aware, NHS Employers has published temporary pre-employment check requirements for employers to follow during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please read the information available in our guidance section.
This standard outlines the requirements that NHS organisations should follow when carrying out a work health assessment on a candidate.
There are six employment check standards that employers must undertake as part of their recruitment processes. Read the background information about the purpose of the standards, who they apply to and how to meet compliance and view our frequently asked questions.
- Inserted link to the Department of Health and Social Care Green Book (para 3.1.3).
- Inserted link to the registration page for a vaccination update from Public Health England (para 3.1.4).
- Standard reformatted to make it easier to refer to. Wording changed to make requirements clearer. Links updated throughout.
- Minimum requirement of complying with the equality act made clearer (section 2.1).
- Reference to the streamlining programme removed.
- Reference to the COVID-19 vaccination requirement removed. Further information can be found about this on our employment checks FAQ page.
- Page 8: we included news of the governments decision to remove the COVID-19 vaccine mandate for health and social care staff, subject to consultation and parliamentary approval.
- Page 8: inclusion of information on the requirement for all healthcare staff who are deployed in regulated activity and have direct face-to-face contact with patients to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 from 1 April 2022.
- Page 8: inclusion of government announcement that staff entering care homes must be vaccinated against COVID-19 before doing so and supporting NHSE/I and DHSC guidance.