A suite of resources and webinar recordings have been developed to prepare and support NHS trusts and foundation trusts with the implementation of the NHS Workforce Disability Equality Standard (WDES).
The following resources were updated in July 2020:
- the ten WDES metrics - detailing the specifics of each metric which covers areas such as the board, recruitment, bullying and harassment, engagement and the voices of disabled staff
- technical guidance - which provides details of the metrics, reporting and policy context
- a quick guide to implementation - including key actions from preparation and reporting, to action planning and implementation
- factsheet - providing key information on what the WDES is, why it has been created, who needs to report and the timetable.
- WDES annual report guide and template - a guide to developing your organisations WDES annual report and template document.
Additional guidance includes:
- Understanding disability infographic - this infographic provides an explanation of disability, some of the associated health conditions, statistics and key actions for improving experiences for disabled staff in the NHS.
- An inclusive approach to disability leave - this briefing highlights the benefits of having a disability leave policy and shares good practice examples from other NHS trusts
- a guide to improving staff disability data - tips to help employers improve their staff disability data by using the recruitment process, manager engagement and data collection more effectively
- reasonable adjustments - guidance on how employers can support disabled staff in the workplace by making reasonable adjustments
- FAQs - an online resource of more detailed questions and answers.
- listening to the voices of disabled staff - a case study by University Hospitals of Morecambe NHS Foundation Trust. The trust was just meeting legal requirements in relation to its equality practice. To address this, the trust set up a disability staff network to listen to the voices of disabled staff, which led to improved staff experience and NHS Staff Survey results.
- supporting staff who are shielding during COVID-19 - a case study from Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust share how they engaged with managers and supported staff that were affected.
WDES share and learn webinars
Over the last year we have hosted jointly with NHS England and NHS Improvement a series of share and learn webinars to help provide further support with the implementation of the WDES.
The webinar recordings can be accessed below.
More detailed information on the WDES reporting timelines for this year can be found on our WDES web page.
Should you have any further questions please email email@example.com.